What is HIPPY?
The Home Interaction Program for Parents and Youngsters (HIPPY) is a free, two-year, home-based early childhood learning and parenting program that empowers parents and carers to be their child’s first teacher.
- HIPPY is FREE, fun, play-based learning!
- HIPPY supports you for two years, starting around the time your child turns three (i.e., the two years before starting school)
- You receive HIPPY activity packs, resources and books
- You will be supported by a HIPPY Mentor who will practice the activities with you at home visits. You then play the activities with your child during the week
- You receive support and opportunities to learn and connect with others at monthly group gatherings
Benefits of HIPPY
- Helps children make a successful transition to school through encouraging a love of learning
- Develops skills and concentration
- Promotes literacy, language and listening
- Builds self esteem and confidence
- Access to support and links with the community
- Families empowered and engaged in their children’s learning
- HIPPY fits around your daily routine
The following videos explain HIPPY and provide insight into how it works, the program model and the benefits – as explained by children and families who have experienced HIPPY and worked in the program.
These videos can be used to promote, explain and start conversations with families and staff about HIPPY. More information can be found at www.hippyaustralia.bsl.org.au.
Please contact your local HIPPY site as per links below to find out more information and how to apply to enrol.
HIPPY Australia advertisement video
‘How play helps child development’ video
1. Role Play
2. Parents and carers as Tutors (mentors)
3. Home Visits and Group Meetings
4. Two year, structured program
5. Everywhere Learning
- Would you like to promote your child’s school readiness and maximise their chances of a successful early school experience?
- Would you like to feel empowered in your role as your child’s first teacher?
- Can you spare two hours per week in school terms for two years for home visits and regular HIPPY gatherings?
- Will your child begin school in 2026?
If you answered yes to the questions above and are interested in participating in HIPPY during 2024-2025, please complete the form at the bottom of this page as soon as possible or call the appropriate person for your location as shown below.
Expression of Interest for
HIPPY Program 2023-2024
"*" indicates required fields